Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Story of the Heart Shaped Tiles

It is now time for the sappy romantic bit (see, I'm not a total ice queen!)

Scotty and I moved into together Spring of 2008. There abouts anyway. I had found an old piece of plywood with an attempted Mosaic of interlocking heart and diamond shaped tiles. Who knows how old this creation was. The tiles came right off. A planned afternoon of yard work was distracted by the odd discovery. I became transfixed on removing every single tile. I have no idea why I was so interested in the damned things. I crouched in the mud, under a light late spring drizzle and collected the tiles until Scotty came home from work. It must have been a Saturday. Back then I didn't work Saturdays. Scotty resented me for this.........

I was proud of my endeavours, nobody else really seemed to care of my archaeological collection. That evening I snuck a tile into Scotty's pocket as a hint of my emotions toward him. Though we had moved into with one an other, we hadn't reached "that" stage in our relationship yet. Unfortunately he hadn't really thought much of the tile, or how it ended up in his pocket. He hardly seemed amused at the time when I explained what I had done. I was a little crushed. But being the ice queen that I am, I was able to shrug it off.

Time passed. Scotty was becoming restless with his job. Our relationship was not going well. There was infidelity going on. I met some one else, I moved out. I broke Scotty's heart. He broke mine first.

One day returning to my new apartment after a heart wrenching visit with Scotty, I emptied my pockets and was sadly delighted to find one of the endeared heart shaped tiles. Scotty had not forgotten. He had snuck it threre.

It didn't take long before things with "the other guy" went flat. I rode the most miles that season than I ever have, with Scotty. I quit my real job, moved back in, and returned to the wonderful world of line cooking. Scotty's resentment lifted some with my sporadic restaurant hours, and we began to save our money to one day take 6 months off so we could ride our bikes into the sunset....(and out of the sunrise)

As to commemorate the struggle in our relationship and all the efforts we committed to following through with our goal, we have decided to bury a heart shaped tile in every state and or country that we manage to conquer.

How Sweet. Awwwe

No comments:

Post a Comment